Followers

About Me

My photo
A layman's views on the Bible

Friday, January 2, 2009

Perhaps today

My blogger friend Coffee e-mailed me early this morning and asked if I would be blogging soon, or some thing like that. My answer was "perhaps today" and it caused the old memory to kick in...(I'm glad that it still works now and then). My mind went back to the days when Rex Hum bard was preaching on TV from the Cathedral of Tomorrow in Akron, Ohio. I remembered a lapel pin that he sent out to those who had given an offering or contribution to his ministry. It wasn't just as gimmick, although it was smart merchandising, I would think....you send a gift of "x" amount of dollars and we will send you this lapel pin.
I had one myself, it's probably still around somewhere.


But my point isn't about the merchandising, rather it was the message that the pin brought with it. It was made in the shape of a trumpet and underneath was a banner with two words on it.



The two words were "perhaps today" alluding of course to the soon return of our Lord Jesus Christ and the sounding of the trumpet that the apostle Paul speaks of it in his first letter to the Corinthian church. Reading from chapter 15 and verse 51, and I quote from the New Revised Standard Version, "Listen, I will tell you a mystery! We will not all die, but we will all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed." The reason we will be changed is because it's the only way that we can enter heaven. The reason we need a new body is because this mortal flesh must be replaced by immortality, if we are going to live forever. Again in his first letter to the Thessalonians in chapter 4 verses 13-18 he says, (King James Version)
"13But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.
14For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.
15For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.
16For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
17Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
18Wherefore comfort one another with these words. "

So the question is ........are we ready should the trumpet sound? Perhaps today? The answer is not if we feel saved, actually feelings have little or nothing to do with it...The words of an old hymn says it all...."are you walking daily by the Savior's side?Are you washed in the blood of the Lamb? Do you rest each moment in the crucified? Are you washed in the blood of the Lamb?"

Actually I started this blog yesterday....perhaps today?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So the question is not are we ready but rather am I ready,because only I can answer such a question....I better be sure of my answer,if Iam wrong I don't get a second chance.
Coffee