Followers

About Me

My photo
A layman's views on the Bible

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

egocentric, geocentric, Godcentric. Which one are you?

egocentric: having or regarding the self or the individual as the center of all things; having no regard for interests, beliefs, or attitudes other than one's own, self-centered.
geocentric:having or representing the earth as the center; a geocentric theory of the universe; viewed or measured from the geologic center of the earth.
The above taken from the on-line dictionary that I generally use. The next example that I am referring to this a.m. is to be Godcentric; the center of all things; the first cause of all things; Creator, Savior...the list goes on and on. This past year in March 2008, we, that is Judy and I along with two freinds, went to see the Grand Canyon in Arizona and we took lots and lots of pictures; hundreds I would guess. So yesterday I was looking at some that we have on a cd or a dvd...whatever and I realized as I was looking at the pictures that I was looking at te people in the pictures rather than at the beautiful scenery of the Canyon that served as a backdrop for us.
Have you ever noticed that when looking at a group photo that the first person you look for (sometimes the only person) is yourself? I was missing the grandeur and the outright majesty of the Canyon itself. As I looked at the screen, I saw some awesome photographs. Hey, that rhymes doesn't it...saw some waesome? Maybe a poem? Nah.
Getting back to my point, as I viewed the photos, there were the four of us, cameras hanging off our necks, sunglasses donned, posing for the cameras, you would think we were celebrities...again Nah!But here I find myself looking at these four people and missing the big picture, the Canyon, hundreds of miles of God's handiwork. "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Genesis 1:1. My view was really an egocentric one. But then I switched to the more geocentric view as I studied the photo's of the Grand Canyon. I viewed these photos as if the canyon was the center of the universe.
What I decided to do was to view this, all this , including the people in these photos as the handiwork of God and scrap this egocentric thinking as well as the geocentric and look at everything from a God-centric point of view.
Colossains, 2:1-4 says, "If you then be raised with Christ, seek those things which are above where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God. Set your affection, (your mind) on things above, not on things on the earth. For you died, and your life is hid with Christ in God. When Christ who is our life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory." Let's put our ego to death where it belongs seeing that we are dead to sin. Paul said, "I have been crucified with Christ, nevertheless I live, yet not I but Christ lives in me." He is the center of all things in my life...how about you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well now I know exactly what you mean even though several thousand of my [road,trees and swamp photos ] have been deleted I still remember,what a shame that the people who look at these photos will not see these [breath-taking beauties ]instead they find just us [4 of GODs not so beauty creations ]or are we ....we are made in GOD'S image...we have to stop picking and choosing [judging ]let GOD JUDGE BEAUTY...HE is the JUDGE .
Coffee