Followers

About Me

My photo
A layman's views on the Bible

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A living sacrifice

This early morning as I was in prayer the Lord reminded me of a scripture verse from Romans 12. Verse 1 says "I beseech you therefore, brethren , that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service." That is only my reasonable service. And in verse 2 he tells us "And be not conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God." Just being a nonconformist is not the answer...the hippies were nonconformists, the beatniks were nonconformists...remember them? So what is the writer to the Romans saying?
One thing he is saying as you read on in this chapter 12 is that we are members of His body and as such we ought to live in humble submission to what God wants from us...we should not live and even think like we are superior to others, not to think more highly of ourselves than we ought to think, we need to think soberly and God has given us faith to do just that. In 1 Corinthians ch. 13 commonly known as the "love" chapter it says that love is not puffed up. Love does not parade itself. It does not always dominate every conversation, it does not always want the spotlight, it does not always want to be the center piece in every picture. It isn't rude, it does not want it's own way; the list goes on...read that 13th. chapter and read it over again and again.Don't make a fool of yourself by being obnoxious, if you catch my drift. Love loves life, especially life in Christ. Once I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things." Grow up is what the Bible is saying..some people never do. Jesus says "take up your cross and follow Me. Don't be a showoff.
The hymn writer said it like this, "my heart is thrilled when'er I think of Jesus, the only name that sets the captive free, the only name through which I find salvation, no other name has meant so much to me"...that is how I feel.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know Randall, when I was a kid
and heard this verse,persent your bodies as a living sacrifice holy and acceptable to God,I could only think of the martys of old and how they were sacrificed for their faith.I would asked myself if I could do that,give up my life for God. Now I know that what God wants from me is not to end my life for Him,but to live it for Him.
Our bodys are not our own as some people think but part of God's body and we should treat it like
Jesus Himself was standing next to us.
The 13ch.of 1Cor. is one of my favorites because it shows us how to love.God gives us the blue print
for loving each other and shows us how we should be acting towards others.It says it all.
C.M.

Anonymous said...

Yesterday when I read this Blog I tried to copy & paste the hymn
I Surrender All as my comment....it didn't work so I typed it all out,only to loose it as I finished,so I put my comment on hold......Reasonable Service
what is reasonable service,stop and think...All to Jesus,I surrender;all to Him I freely give; I will ever love and trust Him,in His presence daily live.I quess reasonable service is everything we do [Good or Bad ]we give it all to Jesus.....Oh my
Coffee