Followers

About Me

My photo
A layman's views on the Bible

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Sweet hour of prayer

It was while I was making a sandwich, one of the Dagwood type, that the old hymn

"Sweet hour of prayer came to mind, prompted by the Holy Ghost and I stopped doing what I was doing and began to meditate on the words of that old hymn. As I meditated on them a Psalm also came to mind, in fact several Psalms came to my mind. Psalm 63:3&4 says "Because Thy lovingkindness is better than life, my lips shall praise Thee.4/ Thus will I bless Thee while I live: I will lift up my hands in Thy name." Another passage that was so beautiful to me because it was evening comes from the 141st. Psalm, "2/ Let my prayer be set forth before Thee as incense; and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice." As I meditated on all of this, the Presence of God began to surround me and made me realize as I surrendered my heart to Him that the sacrifices of God "are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O GOD, YOU WILL NOT DESPISE." That quote from psalm 51:17. As I lifted my hands to worship Him , I was aware that the lifting of my hands was as the evening sacrifice and I wondered if when those priests like Aaron had the same sense of His Presence that I was feeling. My prayer last evening was as incense...tyhat is what the Bible says. It is a sacrifice of praise...an offering of praise.

The prayer thatDavid prayed that day was for God to set a watch over his tongue and to keep the door of his lips. O Lord .....keep us from evil, I pray today.

No comments: