Followers

About Me

My photo
A layman's views on the Bible

Friday, November 27, 2009

To do or not to do. God's wisdom put to the test

We are still studying the epistle of James in our Bible study at the church house in uptown Saint John. What a book on wisdom for the Christian to study. Earlier in this blog I addressed the part in James' letter where it speaks about being a doer and not just a hearer of the Word. Also I have talked about wisdom, so why this title today? Last Bible study we read from ch. 3 of the epistle and it talks about taming the tongue and the two kinds of wisdom. Some people that I know or have known have a philosophy of "might as well say it as think it" If what they think about another person will hurt that person, then do not say it in fact don't even think it. Get it out of your mind. If you do not harbor this kind of thinking then you will find it easier to tame your tongue. That brings in wisdom. Two kinds...earthly, sensual, devilish or demonic wisdom or wisdom that is from above...pure, peacable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without a trace of partiality or hypocrisy. That is the result of being a doer....my question, not Shakespeare's...to do or not to do? To do is what brings forth a whole fruit basket.....full of mercy and good fruits.Read it for yourself in James chapter 3.

2 comments:

LookinUp said...

What a good word/Word. Thanks for the reminder. We can all think of other people who need this reminder. But this morning, when I read this, Randall, I was reminded of the OLD song, "Not my brother, not my sister, but it's me O Lord, standing in the need of prayer" -- or not my brother nor my sister, but me who needs this reminder.

Thanks for bringing your thoughts to us,

Coffee said...

Hi Ran [ don't have a heart attack ] I know its been a while ! No its more than a while...its been 28 blogs ago,I commented on June 1st on May 29th blog [ what happen to the time...I was reading nov. blogs then oct. blogs then sept. blogs .I realty didn't think I missed so many blogs,I guess its that to busy thing because I realy cann't think of any realy good reason .....I did read one,and when you ask what was in it I had forgot,this should have been a hint......" MISSED IT " guess YOU will have to give me a good kick to get me back on track....by the way this is not an APOLOGY ....Iam the only one who missed out or [messed up ]
your friend Coffee