Followers

About Me

My photo
A layman's views on the Bible

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Insignificant; not important

Sometimes I look back at some old postings I have done and reflect a little to see if there might be something more I could have added to it. So this is an addition to my post on assigning value to people. God loves people, so why don't people love people? We regard some people sometimes as being, well...insignificant. Insignificant has several definitions; 1 unimportant, trifling or petty.
2 too small to be important...children? 3 of no consequence, influence or distinction...like when we discriminate in church and assign importance to some and none to others?4 without weight of character or meaning. Blind Bartemaeus, a begger to boot, was considered insignificant by some people because when he cried out to Jesus to have mercy on him, many who were part of the crowd, religious people they were, told him to shut up quite frankly. Let's pick up the narrative from the Gospel according to St. Mark...ch.10, verses 46-52: And they came to Jericho: and as He went out of Jericho with His disciples and a great number of people, blind Bartimaeus, the son of Timaeus sat by the highway side begging. And when he heard that it was Jesus of Nazereth, he began to cry out, and say, Jesus, thou son of David, have mercy on me. And many charged him that he should hold his peace but he cried the more a great deal, thou son of David, have mercy on me. And Jesus stood still, and commanded him to be called. And they call the blind man saying unto him, be of good comfort, rise; He calleth thee. " WHAT A BUNCH OF HYPOCRITES. THE REST OF THE STORY OF COURSE IS THAT JESUS HEALED HIM AND GAVE HIM HIS SIGHT. Jesus placed a great deal of significance on this blind beggar.
When you are left out of the conversation do you feel insignificant? When your name is not mentioned at some function and everyone else is mentioned do you feel insignificant. Maybe it is a gathering of friends and family and you have been ignored the entire evening AND THAT CAN HURT. Remember that God puts an extreme amount of value on you and you are certainly not insignificant in His sight. He sent His only begotten Son to die in your place. You are of great significance to hin

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think maybe we all look back at the old blogs and I am sure we will all get something more out of them each time we read them.
Coffee

Anonymous said...

Great reminder - no person insignificant to God. Reminds me of the scripture in Psalm 139:14, " . . I am fearfully and wonderfully made . ." Sometimes we are insignificant to people, but never to God.
Thanks, also, for all the great thoughts, too many to comment on, in your Tuesday Bible Study - so glad to see a copy.

Anonymous said...

Hi randall
It is funny that you are talking about old blogs because I just spent sometime reading some and my comments on them and wondered if I was commemting today if much would change.
My life is not were it was then so yes my comments would be different
then now,but I think that at the time you wrote each blog it was just what I needed at that time.
As for todays blog I don't think that we can hear it enough that we are very important to God.
Yes we all have been hurt by people
but Jesus will never hurt us.

Thank you for each blog and your faithfulness in doing them,they mean alot to us all
C.M.

Stardaisy said...

I just wanted to say thank you for writing your blogs. Very inspiring. I really liked your ending as well. "Remember that God puts an extreme amount of value on you and you are certainly not insignificant in His sight. He sent His only begotten Son to die in your place. You are of great significance to him." We all need to remember that during those times.

Anonymous said...

I know that I can ANSWER yes to all those questions. Some times I wonder if I am appecicated for the things I do, for family, and friends, and I know that it is the devil at work, but I still have the feelings. Deep down in side I know I am significant in his eyes, but some times in my own I feel that I am not.
But the scripture, I always try to remember is
Joshua 1:9 --- 9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.".

And this one. It makes sense to me but might not to guys.
Titus 3:9
9But avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and arguments and quarrels about the law, because these are unprofitable and useless.