Followers

About Me

My photo
A layman's views on the Bible

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Looking at James and Salvation by works

You may think that my title contradicts what I have said in past blogs, that being salvation is through grace and grace alone, not of works says the apostle Paul in his letter to the Ephesians.. Those verses are found in Ephesians 2:8,9:” For by grace are you saved through faith, and that (faith) not of yourselves, it is the gift of God, 9/ not of works lest anyone should boast.” My title therefore is some what misleading because I for one do believe that salvation is a free gift of God bought for me “by the precious blood of Christ as a lamb without blemish “
But is James really saying that we are saved by works or is he in agreement with all the other Bible writers who say that we are saved by faith and His marvelous grace? James is talking to Christians already saved and he is essentially telling them the same thing as Paul tells the Philippians in chapter 2:12-17
Philippians 2:12-17 (New Living Translation)
Shine Brightly for Christ
12 Dear friends, you always followed my instructions when I was with you. And now that I am away, it is even more important. Work hard to show the results of your salvation, obeying God with deep reverence and fear. 13 For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him.
14 Do everything without complaining and arguing, 15 so that no one can criticize you. Live clean, innocent lives as children of God, shining like bright lights in a world full of crooked and perverse people. 16 Hold firmly to the word of life; then, on the day of Christ’s return, I will be proud that I did not run the race in vain and that my work was not useless. 17 But I will rejoice even if I lose my life, pouring it out like a liquid offering to God,[a] just like your faithful service is an offering to God. And I want all of you to share that joy.
Pretty well says it all, don’t you think? Not much I can add except that James and Paul are both talking to Christians(as one lady said in Bible study the other night, “Christian is the key word), people who are already saved and working because they want to, because of their love for Jesus. That is what James means when he says “faith without works is dead because it is inactive.(my word)
Haven’t heard from that many people of late via comments in the blog space, although folks have e-mailed and told med personally that they read the blog and get something from it however I would encourage you to offer a comment.
Salutations…..RC

2 comments:

Kuttys - Asia For Christ said...

Dear Brother Randall,

Be encouraged, your blog is very timely and inspiring and definitely sharpening my mind, soul, and spirit. Keep on writing. God bless. Kamala

MoreOfU said...

Randall, please continue spreading the word of God. I may not always comment either, but it sure does give me something to think about. You have done a good work here. Blessings on you!!