Followers

About Me

My photo
A layman's views on the Bible

Friday, May 29, 2009

When the salt loses its savour

Jesus said,"You are the salt of the earth" We live in a port city on Canada's east coast and as I look out of my window, I can see the harbour and port facilities from an excellent vantage point and as I do, I see what looks to be a huge pile of raw salt(unprocessed) No doubt it is waiting to be shipped all over the world. While I was looking at this huge pile of salt I began to reflect upon what Jesus says here in Matthew ch 5 verse 13, He said "if the salt has lost its savour(flavour in the modern translations) how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men."
If the salt has lost its flavour...now I probably am one who uses too much salt but I cannot stomach bland food. And neither can God stomach blandness in HIS CHILDREN. It happens in marriages; the flavour goes out of the marriage...people get tired of each other. It happens in churches, just look at the church at Ephesus, they did everything right, they lived right, they laboured right, they were patient, they could not put up with evil, they even put some so-called apostles to a test and proved that they were lying, they persevered and worked for Jesus' name's sake, but the love had gone from their worship, they had lost their first love their passion for God; the salt had lost its savour. Sometimes we take each other for granted....too many times we do that. And all too many times we take our soul's freedom for granted. In a marriage you need passion; I have been married to the same girl for almost 46 years and I can say unashamedly that my passion for her is as great as it has ever been maybe even greater. We need to be passionate about God and love Him first of all and foremost of all. The salt will lose its flavour if we don't take the necessary precautions.

2 comments:

C.M. said...

Hi Randall
I am sitting here thinking about losing our passion for God and how easy it can happen.
It does not take to many days of not reading the bible before it gets easy to not read it at all.
It is the same with praying,if we don't do it every day we soon stop altogether.
Sunday night I looked over at my grandson and saw him standing praising God and my heart was filled with joy.In him I could see his passion for God,one he is
just finding out that he has.
God is moving in our kids and as we see their passion let it remind us of our first love Jesus.

C.M.

Coffee said...

Hi RAN....most people now a days have no idea how important salt is,not just to add flavor to our food but to preserve it ,maybe not so much now as it was when we were kids,we only had ice and salt to keep things from spoiling,even now they use salt in canned foods and processed meats.It takes a lot for salt to lose its flavor,you would have to realy water it down.
If we are the salt of the earth ,we had better start preserving the food for our souls
don't let the word of the Lord get watered down,let JESUS flavor our lives
Coffee